The Mobile Workforce State Income Tax Simplification Act has companion bills pending in both chambers of Congress. H.R. 2315 was introduced on May 14, 2015 by lead sponsors Representative Mike Bishop (R-MI) and Representative Hank Johnson (D-GA), and has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee of which both lead sponsors are members. The companion Senate bill, S. 386, was previously introduced on February 5, 2015 by Senator John Thune (R-SD) and Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH), and referred to the Senate Finance Committee.
UPDATE: On June 2, 2015, COST President & Executive Director, Doug Lindholm, testified on behalf of the 275-member Mobile Workforce Coalition in favor of H.R. 2315, the Mobile Workforce State Income Tax Simplification Act of 2015. A new Business Activity Tax Simplification Act (BATSA) bill, Digital Goods bill, and some other cross-border tax issues were also on the agenda. Six additional co-panelists included:
- Grover Norquist, President, Americans for tax Reform
- Arthur Rosen, Esq, Partner, McDermott Will & Emery LLP
- Lawrence Leaman, Vice President of Tax, Masco Corporation
- Jot Carpenter, Vice President, Government Affairs, CTIA
- Julie Magee, Commissioner, Alabama Department of Revenue
- Dan Crippen, Executive Director, National Governors Association
Testimony and statements for the record are available via this link.
For more information or to join in the 275-member coalition effort, please contact COST’s Maureen Riehl.